- MSc in Biochemistry (University of Valencia).
- Visiting scholar at the Department of Biology, UC San Diego. Supervisor: Prof. Dr. John J. Holland. Topic: effect of population bottlenecks on VSV fitness.
- PhD in Molecular and Evolutionary Genetics (University of Valencia). Supervisors: Prof. Dr. Andrés Moya and Prof. Dr. Esteban Domingo. Topics: experimental evolution of VSV; dynamics of adaptation; effect of deleterious mutations; theoretical population genetics and molecular evolution.
1995-1998. Postdoc in the Center for Microbial Ecology, Michigan State University. Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Richard E. Lenski. Topics: experimental evolution of E. coli; punctuated evolution; mechanisms maintaining genetic diversity in microbial populations; deleterious mutations; epistasis and genetic canalization; evolution of antibiotic-resistance gene expression.
1998-2001. Assistant Professor of Genetics. University of Valencia.
2001-2002. Associated Professor of Population Genetics (leave in absence). University of Valencia.
- Visiting professor. Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Michigan State University. Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Richard E. Lenski. Topic: artificial life.
2002-2005. Senior scientist at the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC). Instituto de Biología Molecular y Celular de Plantas (IBMCP), Valencia.
2005-present. Professor. IBMCP, Valencia. Topics: experimental evolution of plant viruses and viroids; mechanisms of mutational robustness; evolution of virulence; emerging viruses and evolutionary trade-offs; host-parasite interaction; artificial life; theoretical population genetics and molecular evolution.
2008–present. External Professor of the Santa Fe Institute. Santa Fe (NM), USA. Topics: evolution of robustness and evolvability in RNA viruses; artificial life; evolutionary systems biology.
- Visiting professor. Department of Biology, UC San Diego. Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Lin Chao. Topic: game theory applications to the analysis of mixed viral infections.
June 2005–October 2009. Head of the Stress Biology Department. IBMCP, Valencia.
January 2011–February 2014. Head of the Virology Department. IBMCP, Valencia.
Published more than 210 peer-reviewed papers and more than 250 contributions to conferences in the fields of Evolutionary Genetics, Virology and Systems Biology. Supervisor of 19 PhD theses. PI for 18 grants (including from EMBO, HFSP, The John Templeton Foundation, and EU FP7) and research contracts with industry.
Member of the American Society for the Study of Evolution, European Society of Evolutionary Biologists (ESEB), and Society of Molecular Epidemiology and Evolutionary Genetics of Infections Disease. Member of the ESEB Council (2003-2007, 2011-2019).
Past or current Associated Editor of American Naturalist; BMC Evolutionary Biology; Evolution; Frontiers in Microbiology; Infection, Genetics and Evolution; International Journal of Evolutionary Biology; Journal of Evolutionary Biology; Open Genomics Journal; Open Parasitology Journal; Open Virology Journal; PLoS Pathogens (occasional guest editor); Proceedings of the Royal Society B; Virus Evolution (co-editor in chief). Academic member of Faculty of 1000and the Peer Community in Evolutionary Biology.
Awarded as EMBO Young Investigator in 2004. Elected EMBO Member in 2011.
Hirsch’ h index of 53 (in Google Scholar) , 217 publications, 10516 citations.
Research ID: A-4191-2011
Scopus ID: 7006364449